On 19 October 2017, the Attorney-General and Minister for Justice Yvette D’Ath officially opened Southport’s permanent specialist Domestic and Family Violence Court. The renovations reflect the caseload of Southport’s specialist DFV court which has dealt with more than 12,000 matter since the trial began in September 2015.
The renovations include:
- A dedicated registry counter for enquiries and filing DFV court applications;
- Secure entry for courtrooms
- Video conferencing facilities for female victims too fearful to attend court in person and witnesses.
- Quiet room for distressed women;
- Secure children’s play area,
- Meeting room facilities for men and their legal and support services, and
- Sound-proofed meeting rooms.
The $2.69 million renovation to upgrade Southport courthouse is in addition to the $69.5 million previously allocated to domestic and family violence courts in the 2017-18 State Budget.
The opening follows the appointment of two specialist Magistrates for the Southport DFV Court – Clare Kelly and Louise Shepherd.
This website contains general information about legal matters. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such. You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to legal advice from your lawyer or other professional legal services provider. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on this website.
For specific legal advice, you should immediately contact Gatenby Criminal Lawyers on (07) 5580 0120.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.