Other amendments to the legislation will benefit investigating authorities and primary producers by:
- Empowering police to effectively investigate stock crime by extending stock-related search warrant durations from 7 to 21 days
- Modernising evidentiary requirements in stock offence prosecutions
- Maintaining the ability of police to immediately return cattle to victims of crime where there is no dispute as to ownership
- Streamlining the disposal process where there is a dispute as to ownership, allowing the stock to be sold pending an order from the Court to distribute the funds at the conclusion of proceedings
- Under the new laws, the Court can order the return of cattle when stock has strayed onto a person’s property and the land owner refuses to move the cattle,” he said.