A Character Reference should include:-
- Your full name and occupation.
- A brief paragraph setting out your background;
- Details of how long you have known the Defendant and how you came to know the Defendant.
- That you are aware the Defendant is to attend Court in relation to an offence/s charged.
- Any comments about the Defendant’s character, in as much detail as needed or giving an example of a situation in which the Defendant’s personality is shown positively.
- Details of any positive attributes you feel the Defendant has including any community contributions.
The Reference should:-
- Be addressed to “The Presiding Magistrate.”
- Not extend beyond one page.
- Formulated in the referee’s own words.
- Be signed and dated by the referee.